Friday, January 28, 2011

Gadget?

I thought that gadget refers to any "thing" which is first of the first "technological". No one will dispute this. Period.

Then I consulted three sources (thefreedictionary.com, Wikipedia, and merriam-webster.com) for gadget and a concept shared by the three of them is "novelty" (the quality of being new and fresh and interesting).

Keeping "gadget" and "novelty" is mind, I searched Endgadget and Crunchgear for keywords "electric cigarette" and found some coverages, reports, and reviews. Good. I was quite sure that my proposition was correct: electric cigarette, being a new technological product (emerged in 2008), is a gadget.

But I was forced to postpone the definitive classification for the so-called "electric cigarette" because, strange enough, Gizmodo did archived articles for my keywords but the results are not relevant. I have faith for Gizmodo because the synonym for gadget is gizmo -- the name of the site implies that.

My casual research left me wondering, is "electric cigarette" a true gadget/gizmo or not? (When I typed "gizmo" here, red line always appears, indicating that the word is alien for blogspot) Why is "electric cigarette" looked like being neglected by the gadget experts at Gizmodo then? Is it because "electric cigarette" is not as popular as the other "new technological thing"/s and hence does not deserves a little bit attention? Isn't this fake smoke a new technological creation?

Smoking is very popular, but Lucky Strikes and Marlboro wouldn't fit with Gizmodo, unless those cigarettes have something to do with gadgets (shoot - the search result for lighter is not relevant either).

Question marks still hover in the air. Does anyone willing to ascertain whether "electric cigarette" a gizmo or not?***


Image: crunchgear